A catalytic converter is an emissions control device that converts toxic gases and pollutants in exhaust gas to less toxic pollutants. Catalytic converters are used with internal combustion engines fueled by either petrol (gasoline). If you want to clean your catalytic converter, see our step-by-step instruction.
★ ★ ★
Auto Parts & Accessories
How to Clean a Catalytic Converter
- Open the hood and lift the prop rod. Secure the prop rod in position to keep the hood of the car open.
- Use a wrench to loosen and remove the bolts that secure the converter into position.
- Remove the catalytic converter from exhaust system.
- Inspect the converter for any damage. Shake the converter and listen for any noises.
- Clean the catalytic converter. Use a cleaning cloth to wipe away any residue from the face of the converter. If it’s still dirty, you may need to soak it in a mixture of degreaser and hot water.
- Allow the converter to dry.
- Re-insert the bolts into place.
You can also use a catalytic converter cleaner to remove the carbon build up from your exhaust system. How to сlean a сatalytic сonverter? Just to pour the contents into your gas tank and drive until close to empty.
The catalytic converter should be cleaned four times per year to maximize performance, according to Exhaust Systems Guide.